Emmie’s world might sound familiar. It’s a place where hopes and dreams constantly collide with the ups and downs of daily life, from job interviews (scary!!) to routine chores like groceries and laundry. Except Emmie is a robot – a sheep-loving android who is bad at math and worried about nonexistence. Even the ordinary is an adventure!
Now Recharging is a slice-of-life story that takes place in a world not that different from our own – aside from sentient/sapient robots being an accepted matter of fact. For one little robot designed to learn naturally with no apparent end application, there’s still a lot to figure out about life and living!
Now Recharging contains some swearing. It updates Mondays and Thursdays here, and at GoComics (about 1 chapter behind).
I’m Maiji/Mary Huang, and this webcomic started as my attempt to express and address some of my biggest fears, and also share things I care about, in a gentle, amusing and comforting way.
This story includes, in no particular order: warm family-like relationships, a sense of wonder for the ordinary, asexuality and agender identities, marshmallows, pretty rocks, Eastern philosophy and mythology, palliative care, not being afraid to talk about death and dying, many kinds of pancakes, soft fluffy sheep, GLADIATORBOTS!!, a beautiful princess who is a turtle (her name is Miss Princess Turtle), silly puns, and a bunch of other stuff I like.
- September 2015: Now Recharging begins posting on Tumblr
- September 2016: Now Recharging begins running on GoComics
- December 2018: Now Recharging migrates to Smack Jeeves
- December 2019: Now Recharging moves to its own little home (a world of thanks and much love to the lovely Atorier for making this site!)
- August 2020: Now Recharging joins the Spiderforest Webcomics Collective!